November 30, 2005

White Mule Society

The Great Man lowered the boom on me today; after the end of January, I need to have found something else for myself. While this is unsettling news, it was not unexpected. To commiserate, Happy Bachelor Lawyer and I met up with the White Mule Society tonight at the brewpub.

You can read about the legend of the White Mule here, on the brewpub's website.

This "White Mule Society" was really just a group of Happy Bachelor Lawyer's drinking buddies who are also attorneys. Trading war stories and the experiences of others who have been through career changes softened the blow somewhat. I still have anxiety about this new house we've bought, but I'm trying to approach the situation with confidence and perspective.

I should be able to land on my feet, at this point. Of course only time will tell. When I completely sober up again, I may start being anxious once more, but for now at least I should be able to get some sleep. After I drink a lot of water.

It was also a very good thing that The Wife came to join us. Otherwise, I'd still be down there trying to sober up. Anyway, it's time to go drink some water.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Who's got your drunk back? That's right baby, me! And hey, you'll find employment at a REAL law firm soon!


"Is there no help for the widow's son?" Hopefully you'll not be needing that phrase... :-)

Salsola said...

I don't understand. Good managers hire people smarter than themselves, poor ones don't. Maybe it is one of those things. I have also noticed that some business people at the tail end of their career would rather ride a business into the ground than to maintain it.
It's his loss.

Anonymous said...

Wow, if I were you, my work attitude would be just peachy for the next two months! Hopefully, you won't have to be there nearly that long.

Salsola has an idealistic view of proper law firm management. He thinks many law firms lose money due to their poor management, and would do better for themselves if they improved their management techniques to maximize employee strengths, retain employees for the long-term and keep them happy. I am more cynical. I think "poor" management, especially that results in churn-and-burn of associates, must be profitable in some way, or else it wouldn't be done.

The good-guy management approach has worked well for Salsola and his firm. Then again, they do not do tort work; nor are they large or top-heavy with partners.

Burt Likko said...

The Law Office Of The Great Man (hereinafte TLOOTGM) is not top-heavy with partners, but it does seem to have a churn-and-burn philosophy about attorneys. This is, I can assure, not the result of any calculated management decision. TLOOTGM is run by a far different philosophy; whim, caprice, and momentary irritation are considerably more powerful motivators than any strategy, philosophy, objective, or ethic.