November 4, 2005

Just Call Me Kwame

Having been on the news before, finding no novelty or advantage to doing so now, and discovering that I am not feeling quite so conservative as I have in the past, the fact that this case has turned into the Right Wing Outrage Of The Week brings me no joy. I know perfectly well that this will die down and become a non-story which no one will remember in about four days. Time was, I would have enjoyed this publicity very much, but now, I’d just as soon stay home and enjoy the dogs.

This apparently was not to the liking of some of my clients.

So it was with great joy that I learned that I was fired today by my clients in that case. The only fly in the ointment was that I’d already reached a deal with the defense attorneys to end the case forever in exchange for relieving my clients of liability for the defendants’ costs of suit. So I had to call the attorneys back and let them know that I’d been fired and shouldn’t have made that deal with them, and they were quite nice about it.

So now it’s all the problem of Liberty Counsel, an impact-litigation group affiliated with Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University. This public interest “law firm” describes itself as a “ministry,” so this looks right up their alley. I hope they have fun with it. But having once worked in a similar sort of entity myself, I know what happens behind the scenes at places like that and after a while, the egos of the principals overwhelm whatever joy and fun the lower-level people take out of fulfilling their mission, and a glance through the website shows all the hallmarks of the ultimately unhappy experiences I went through ten years ago.

I also got fired earlier this week by a client at The Law Office Of The Great Man. Again, I shed no tears and was in fact happier about things after it was done. I would rather work on fewer cases, and do a better job on them, than what’s going on now. That sounds both more conducive to being happy and to accumulating wealth. So if the clients who have crappy cases all fire me – I say, “Amen to that.”

No comments: