August 14, 2005

Weekend Summary

Interesting events this weekend included:
  • Finishing grading and revising my online students' papers. Always a big chore, I made it through three less-than-well-written papers with revisions to point out where they failed to cite to authorities, made grammar mistakes, and lapsed into weak passive voice. The Wife points out that most of my students don't care whether or not they actually learn anything from my class. I say, someone has to care about their educations, and if they won't do it, well, that's my job. They're paying for the service and I'm going to give it.
  • Bought a professional-grade lemon zester. It will make making crepes much easier -- which is one reason The Wife may have been so insistent that I get it.
  • Taught the dogs to sit pretty (or at least, got them to do so on command).
  • Secured a repair deal for the lawn mower, which includes pickup and delivery while The Wife and I are away at work.
  • Saw two movies, neither of which are worth investing time in reviews: Fantastic Four and Must Love Dogs. Suffice to say that in Fantastic Four, the characters spent way too much time talking about their feelings instead of having superhero-style fights with super-villains. Must Love Dogs was so sweet and devoid of substance that I felt close to entering diabetic shock by the time I left the theater. While both movies had some redeeming qualities, I have no desire to see either again and do not recommend either to any of my Loyal Readers. I'm sure The Wife has a different opinion about Must Love Dogs, to which she is of course entitled.
  • Got a good, short, corporate-style haircut. Also, I let my facial hair grow. Now the hairs on my cheek feel only a little bit shorter than the hairs on the side of my head. This will all change tomorrow morning when I have to look scrubbed and groomed for work, but I'm enjoying it for now.
  • Continued rehabilitating my computer from the hard-drive wipe that took place last week. (At least my pop-up ad problem has been solved.)
  • Was flattered to see a note and reference from Professor Stephen Bainbridge, whose blogs (one on law and one on wine) I read periodically. I have no idea how many hits on the blog I've got for that highly amusing video or how many to thank Prof. Bainbridge for. Welcome to any new readers who find my daily musings and activities amusing!
  • Finally, I've grown annoyed at the flower-shaped bullet points on the blog. Anyone have any idea how I can change them to simple, professional-looking round dots?

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hey, it's your own fault for making such yummy crepes! And, for the record, I wasn't "insistent" about you getting a professional-grade lemon zeter, I demanded it. Hey, kudos to you for going along with it - what a fella. Sorry ladies, he's taken. Though the handsome fella with the corporate-style haircut might still be available....