July 9, 2006

Public Park Proves Public-Parochial Premium Problem Pervasive

This is kinda B.S. It's the kind of B.S. that I would have expected to have found back in Tennessee.

I've got nothing against parochial schools -- I went to a parochial high school and I'm grateful for the good education I got there. But private schools need to pay for things privately. When the public gets involved, things get ookey. ("Ookey," by the way, is a Constitutional law phrase with a rather precise meaning. That's why I went to law school.) If these schools wanted to buy the land and develop it for their mutual use, that would have been OK with me.

Particularly amusing in the article is the way the city attorney tap-dances around the issue of why, exactly, the city is paying five million dollars for a "public" park that will have more than half of its overall territory, and the bulk of its usable facilities, fenced off from the public for the exclusive use of two parochial schools.

I think I'm going to join Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

No comments: