March 20, 2006

High Season Travel

My cousin is getting married this Sunday. He lives in Lakeland, Florida, which is about halfway between Orlando and Tampa. Tonight I managed to score a hotel reservation for the weekend. Three days in central Florida before April 15 is a ruinously expensive proposition. Unfortunately, there's not a lot we can do about it; the wedding is when it is, and we had very short notice to attend.

The plan is to see some things of historical interest in Georgia, and see some manatees on the Gulf Coast before hooking up with the family for the weekend festivities. It will certainly be good to see this branch of my family; they could not make it to my wedding through no fault of their own and so The Wife has not yet met them. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I saw them, too. That's one reason why there are occasions like this. I suppose I'm looking forward to it all, but I'm just a little nervous about the price tag. Well, The Wife and I can travel cheaply (other than accomodations) and there's no reason I can't keep on working at night since most hotels have high-speed internet.

And for the record: Although I have a silly picture of a shotgun wedding on the post, the fact of the matter is my cousin has been engaged to this young lady for some time and it's very much a love match rather than a requirement of circumstance. I'm very happy for them, I'm looking forward to meeting my cousin's new wife, and introducing my aunt and uncle from Florida to The Wife.

No comments: