October 30, 2006

Copyright Application

Today I got to do something new at work. The firm has commissioned a map to the courthouse to help our clients get there for the unlawful detainers. One of the partners asked if we could trademark it, and I said, "No, but we can copyright it." He said, "Okay, then do it." (No reason for him to have learned the fine distinction between different kinds of

I'd never done a copyright application before and it turns out to be ridiculously simple, for an original piece of art or writing. A copyright on a derivative work or modification to a previously-copyrighted work would be a bit more complex, but again, I doubt it would be out of the ability of a reasonably intelligent layman (who had the information requested). So that was pretty fun and easy, and now my collection of skills and experience has expanded yet again.

No comments: