August 20, 2008

Same-Sex Marriage: The Federalist Society Debate

One of the really great things about the Federalist Society is its ability to put together discussions that fairly, intelligently, and civilly represent both sides of a contentious issue. Federalist Society debaters do not call one another names, do not resort to cheap shots and avoid intellectual short cuts to make their points.

I try to take that as a model for my own writing. Sometimes I may fall short of that ideal. Well, I'm only human and I have opinions like anyone else. (Although I am also of the opinion that at times, the use of provocative terms is justified and consistent with high-quality analysis; this is something that can only be determined on a case-by-case basis.)

So in that vein, I commend to all readers of all opinions this online panel on the issue of same-sex marriage, between two SSM advocates and two SSM opponents for such a discussion. I think the SSM advocates got the much better end of the discussion, but I have a strong opinion on the issue so of course I would sympathize with them. At any rate, enjoy the debate.

No comments: