November 4, 2007

Vicodin

I don't like it.

It dulls the pain, which is nice because then I don't have to feel it. And the pain can be distracting, at best. But I also don't know very well whether I actually still have a problem or not. I haven't seen or felt any stones pass. I still feel pressure from time to time but I can't be sure if that's just me psyching myself out or if it's the real thing.

Friday, after I took the Vike for the first time, I slept a long time and I had some really trippy dreams. Tonight, I took another one and I can't fall asleep. The Wife went to bed nearly two hours ago and I was tossing and turning and wide awake. Granted, it's still only quarter to ten and I don't have to be up for another eight hours, so I shouldn't be too frustrated.

Maybe the dosage isn't enough to induce sleep. Of course, it's not intended to be a sleep aid; it's supposed to be a painkiller with drowsiness as a prominent side-effect. But I'm certainly not experiencing any euphoria or deriving any pleasure from the drug; at best, like I said above, it dulls the pain from the kidney stone (assuming I still even have it, which as of right now I have no good idea one way or the other).

2 comments:

Orange Phantom said...

Same for me. I slept but not very good. Even worse than a drunken sleep. So, stop the medicine and see if it still hurts! I said before I was not able to ever trap any stone and felt like an idiot pee-ing into a strainer.

Next time this happens to me, I'm just going to go for a long bike ride up a steep hill. Kind of the same as hitting your thumb with a hammer so you don't feel the other pain. Hey, now there's an idea!

Sheila Tone said...

So, just out of curiosity ... how much more did they give you than you'll be using?