August 10, 2008

Exercise Will Kill You

It apparently killed Isaac Hayes today. Yes, that Isaac Hayes, the voice of Chef from South Park (where the song "Suck on my chocolate salty balls" was about candy). The 65-year-old musician was most famous for the Grammy-award winning ultra-funky theme from Shaft that is so permanently embedded in our culture that this exchange, swapping out whatever person you're talking about for "Shaft" is common knowledge among even the reasonably hep:

A: "I hear that [insert single-syllable name here] is a bad mother fu--"

B: "Shut your mouth!"

A: "I'm just talkin' about [insert name here]!"

B: "I can dig it."

Anyway, he was found unconscious next to his treadmill in his home near Memphis, Tennessee, and pronounced DOA when taken to the hospital. Looks like a heart attack while running on the treadmill to me, which is all the evidence I need to keep my ass off a treadmill.

Condolences to his family (and that of the unexpectedly-young Bernie Mac, who also died over the weekend.)

No comments: