June 6, 2006

More Thoughts From The Road

Clinton, Oklahoma

A better mood today; less stress, just driving. We slept in this morning and drove out here, to within an hour of the Texas border. We were trapped in a heavy thunderstorm around Fort Smith, Arkansas and I got some rain in the car.

Along the way, I've been listening to an audiobook biography of Alexander Hamilton. The Wife says, based on their portraits on money, that Hamilton was the best-looking of the Founding Fathers. I had not realized he was quite as young as he was when the Revolution and the Constitutional Convention happened. The audiobook is, as all biographies can be, somewhat biased towards the subject. The first half takes us through the Constitutional Convention and the first year of the Washington Administration. I imagine I'll learn more about Hamilton's later career, and his famous death, tomorrow.

I'm worried about Sassafras, who has not "done her business" since we left Tennessee two days ago. She won't go on a leash, and there are too many distractions and stimuli for her to be trusted off a leash for very long. If she goes for too long she'll get impacted and I don't want her to be uncomfortable and I don't want the vet bill, either. Nor do I want to be involved in a doggie enema. Other critter problems include Jordan, who almost got smashed as I tried to lock the door to the hotel room tonight; and Ginger, who seems to refuse to eat or drink and begs for attention -- in addition to the difficulties involved in getting her in her carrier.

Tomorrow I expect to finish the biography audiobook and we should make it at least to Albuquerque, if not farther. At this rate we'll be in California the day after tomorrow.

2 comments:

Salsola said...

I wonder if they will have anything on TV other than professional wrestling.

Burt Likko said...

Hey, be nice. We watched a part of The Thomas Crown Affair before going to sleep last night. And my concerns about the dog resolved themselves, too.