June 1, 2006

Graduation

Tonight is my paralegal class’ graduation. Everyone passed my segment of the class. I don’t know if others failed the other segments – a core skills class and a criminal law section. I personally think a segment on wills and trusts and another segment on real property would have been more useful for the paralegals than what they got, but I didn’t create the program.

I may be asked to make a few remarks. Here’s what I’m going to tell my students:

“Congratulations. You're now part of 'The System.' You’ve been given some knowledge about how the legal system works, what it does, and why it does it. That knowledge gives you some measure of power in the world. My advice to you is: use your new-found super powers for good.

“You’re going to be working with people who are emotional and unable to see the big picture. You will be their primary conduit to the legal system. Be patient with them. Explain things so they understand what is going on with their cases. Don't be afraid to answer a 'why' question, and don't be afraid to say 'I don't know.' The wheels of justice can move slowly; be sensitive to your clients' frustrations with a process that they do not understand as well as you. Remind your clients that the courts are for everyone, not just themselves, and that 'justice' does not mean 'victory' for the people who decide the cases.

“For yourselves, remember that the law is about people. Remember what your job is all about – this was the first thing I ever told any of you – the law is about resolving disputes. So go, and do good work for your clients. Make us all proud."

2 comments:

Stogie said...

Found your blog on a web search. God, you bear an uncanny resemblance to my eldest son.

Sorry your sojourn in Tennessee didn't work out. It would be nice to find a more affordable place to live and work. Tennessee is a lovely state. My middle son tried the same thing and soon came back to California. Culture shock is always a factor. You get used to a piece of terra firma and, even with all its faults, it's home.

Burt Likko said...

Thanks, Stogie. Your eldest son must be a very good-looking man! Seriously, though, I appreciate the good wishes.