January 5, 2006

Fun in Class

Tonight, I led a review session for The Wife's paralegal class. I had a lot of fun with it. It's an enjoyable experience to be in front of people, interacting with them, talking about interesting stuff. It was a lot like most classes, I suppose; some students were active and engaged, some were distracted and uninterested; some were sharp and others were not so willing to participate unless directly challenged. But after a little bit of getting the class energized, most of the students felt comfortable sharing and participating, and things went pretty well.

Since it was a review session, I made up a hypo to use for issue-spotting and element-recital. I think I did pretty well jamming in a lot of torts into the hypo -- assault, battery, false imprisonment, negligence, professional negligence, products liability, conversion, defamation, malicious prosecution, abuse of process. Students also found nuisance and false light privacy invasion, which I did not really intend but kind of fit. It was a lot like writing the torts tests that I took and practiced on in law school.

It seems that the students liked it, and I hope that they learned from it, too. I sure did. I wish teaching paid better than it does; I get a charge out of seeing the lights turn on in students' faces when they "get it." Someone told The Wife that they were going to recommend that I teach the class in the future. I'd do it; it's a fun gig.

4 comments:

Becky said...

You were great honey! Thanks for a super class. I hope you get more opportunities to teach - you're a natural!

Salsola said...

But . . . you are married. I don't understand. What would be the purpose?

Burt Likko said...

There were some cuties in the class, it's true. But I'm already married to the cutest of them all.

Becky said...

Nice save buddy.