December 19, 2007

Shoe Shopping

Women, as a rule, seem to enjoy shopping for shoes. The Wife certainly seems to like that, and she has quite a few shoes. I dislike shopping for shoes. Truth is, I dislike the necessity for shoes at all. Shoes are expensive, uncomfortable, and they have disproportionate importance to an outfit. But, the fact that I dislike these truths does not make them any less true. And doing what I do for a living means having presentable shoes as part of professional dress.

Despite this, I've managed to avoid buying wingtips. Until now, I've always worn black loafers or tassled moccasins with my suits. Alas, that has come to an end. After The Wife announced that she thought wingtips were "sexy," I knew I had to get a pair to replace my worn-out loafers (which had been leaking in water from tears in the sole in our recent rains). Interestingly, when I went shopping for them, though, she spent all her time urging me to buy another pair of slip-on loafers identical to the pair I was replacing, except for the squared-off toe -- a look which I dislike in men's shoes.
So I got the wingtips and they're a little bit tough on my feet today, but after they break in it should be okay.
I think men should have one pair each of the following shoes in their wardrobe:

1. Good black shoes to wear with suits and other formal wear.
2. Presentable brown shoes, compatible with tan khaki pants, for outfits in the "casual Friday" stratum.
3. Athletic shoes for normal informal use.
Optional additions include, as appropriate to the man's professional and recreational activities:
4. Tuxedo shoes, better than the regular black shoes.
5. Hiking boots, preferably with Gore-tex to keep out water.
6. Specialized athletic shoes, like golf cleats or hightops for basketball.
7. Sandals.
But generally, men don't seem to have many shoes and that makes me happy. Too many shoes is too complex; too many choices for shoes would exhaust my puny male brain.

No comments: