June 16, 2007

There Is Water At The Bottom Of The Ocean

I'm not a huge Talking Heads fan; they were very creative, and occasionally produced some good songs. But I don't take out the Stop Making Sense CD very often.

Still, I heard "Once In A Lifetime" on the radio yesterday and it made me very happy and appreciative:

And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile,
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife,
And you may ask yourself: "Well...how did I get here?"


I feel like that sometimes. I've got a wonderful wife, good friends, a loving and supportive family, good health, some free time to enjoy it all, and enough money to not want for anything important. All the things in my life that I could have ever really wanted. I wonder if it's merely a function of my being very lucky, if it's because of work and effort or something else I did, or what?

Under the rocks and stones,
There is water underground.
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...


I take that to mean that good things are always there if you just open your eyes and look for them. But that doesn't mean you can take any of your good circumstances for granted -- they could all vanish in the blink of an eye. So I try to enjoy these things whenever I can. And to let them all know that I'm grateful and happy because of them.

No comments: