October 5, 2009

I Must Have A Very Forgettable Face

When it was growing in, I only got a few comments about my beard. This I chalked up to people being polite about it looking crappy while it was growing in.  But after about two weeks, it was pretty much done.  And a few people -- clients, mostly -- remarked about the beard and said it looked good.

But The Wife said it was prickly and sharp and because I had to so frequently trim the mustache, that never softed the way the beard did.  And yeah, it itched all the time (that was probably partially the coconut oil drying).  So off it came Friday night.

Thereafter, I had to point out to my loving wife that I'd shaved off my beard.  She spoke with me for ten minutes without saying a word.  But don't feel bad for me about that.  Turns out, she has a lot of good company in not noticing that once again I'm clean-shaven.

Saturday, she had to point out to our friends, who otherwise would not have noticed, either.

No one here at work noticed my beard's absence -- or if they did, no one said anything about it.

We'll see if any of my fellow courthouse haunters notice it tomorrow.  Or maybe my class on Wednesday night.  But at this rate, I'm guessing not.  To me, the beard and mustache were something I saw clearly multiple times a day when I looked at myself in the mirror.  But to others, including people very close to me, my face must be very forgettable indeed.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Baby, you're face isn't forgettable! It's your eyes, they attract ALL the attention.

trumwill said...

Did you every try putting a touch shampoo in your moustache from time to time? I found that helped.

Burt Likko said...

Moot point now, but I'll bear that in mind when I grow my next one. It'll probably smell better than the coconut oil.

Two questions -- do you leave in the shampoo or rinse it out? And what about conditioner?

Pamela said...

It could be prosopagnosia.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/prosopagnosia/Prosopagnosia.htm