November 6, 2008

Prince of Denmark

The Wife is lucky. She gets to read Hamlet for her English class. I figured, why should she have all the fun? And so I pulled out my Shakespeare. So many great turns of phrase.

What a piece of work is man!

One may smile and smile, and be a villain.

To thine own self be true.

We know what we are; we know not what we can be.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

In the secret parts of Fortune? She is a strumpet.

And of course: Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

We've sat down and done readings to work through the action and the phrasing. We also will need to take a trip to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to find some piece there that The Wife thinks Hamlet would have liked. Fortunately, we may have a guide, who I will get in touch with tomorrow after my trial.

But mainly, Hamlet is a great read. It's fun, intense, smart, and bloody.

No comments: