May 27, 2008

Local Yokels Pick A Fight

An auto dealership in Rosamond is running this ad on our local airwaves:
Did you know that there are people in this country who want prayer out of schools, "Under God" out of the Pledge, and "In God We Trust" to be taken off our money? But did you know that 86 per cent of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Kieffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don't tell the other 14 percent to sit down and shut up. I guess I just offended 14 per cent of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that's tough, this is America folks, it's called free speech. None of us at Kieffe & Sons Ford is afraid to speak out. Kieffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don't see you today, by the grace of God, we'll be here tomorrow.
Hey, I'm all for free speech. Which is why I'm not particularly inclined to sit down or shut up:
Did you know that there are people in this country who think that other Americans are somehow not entitled to live as they choose and sort of resent having other peoples' beliefs shoved down their throats all the time? But did you know that our Founding Fathers built in to our Constitution the guarantee that every one of us would have the right to believe, or not, as we choose? Since we all know that at least 86 out of 100 Americans like having freedom, this Antelope Valley Atheist wonders why we don't tell Kieffe & Sons to read the Constitution before opening their fat yaps. I guess I just offended a local car dealership by writing that. Well, if that is the case, then I say that's tough, this is America folks, and this, too, is called free speech. No American should be afraid to speak out for what they think is right, even if they aren't in the majority. When it's time to buy a car, take your business somewhere other than Kieffe & Sons.
Besides, we all know God drives a Plymouth: "He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury" Genesis 3:23.

By the way, did you notice how Keiffe & Sons' math allows that 86% of Americans are Christians, 14% are secular, and 0% are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or anything else? Good math there, fellas.

2 comments:

Orange Phantom said...

hmmm, I have to agree with you. The ad is really stupid.

What does religion have to with cars (well, maybe if the cars are no good someone might ask God to intervene and send some softball size hail to the dealership's location). What else could be done? Maybe He could turn the salesmen into pillars of salt? We could part the Pacific Ocean and have him drive all the cars in there.

Come on TPL, you must have something better to write about!

The ad isn't even controversial, it's just stupid!

Transplanted Lawyer said...

Not unless you want to read about the joys of a viral infection in my colon. Besides, the news has been slow. Gimme a few days.