May 16, 2006

Noble Soldier

To celebrate the second anniversary of our wedding, my grandmother asked that my uncle, who used to be in the wine sales business, pull out a treasure -- a bottle of Chateau Lafite-Rosthchild 1969. Now, this could be a wine review here – but seriously, what value would that have? Would you seriously expect me to say that I didn’t like it? It was easily the best glass of wine I’ve ever had. Complex and mild, there were delicate hints of tobacco under the fruit, with a wonderful tannic taste and balanced layers of cherry and flowers.

We’ll never have anything like that again – how much would a bottle of such wine cost, I wonder? We’re leaving behind virtually all of the bottles of wine we’ve drunk in Tennessee; only taking a few very noble soldiers back to California with us to start our display. This one is going to become one of the centerpieces of the collection. Naturally, we owe a huge debt of thanks to my aunt and uncle for letting this noble soldier go to his duty.

My grandmother kept about half a glass in a carafe to make vinegar. Seriously, she did. This is in keeping with what seems to be a tradition of using very expensive, high-quality wine for prosaic purposes; my mother once used half a bottle of one of the princes of my father's collection to make spaghetti sauce and my grandmother's sister used an entire kilogram of Parmaseano Reggiano (not just the heel in the sauce, but the entire wedge) for one of her pasta dishes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some sleuthing reveals that such a fine wine went for about $50 a bottle three years ago. So, more than I would pay for an everyday wine, but still within reach. I certainly wouldn't turn it down, though. ;-)

However, things can change dramatically in the span of three years.

Becky said...

The wine was older than me and the hubby! Crazy to think that a bottle like that would still be lingering about somewhere... I'm just glad I had the opportunity to partake of this magnificent wine. Wow.