January 7, 2008

More Accurate Reporting, Meaning, Reporting That's More Accurate

The local paper reports 1.12 inches of water over the weekend in my neck of the woods. Also, 67 mile-an-hour winds seem about right for what we experienced at Soffit House. This morning driving to work, I saw snow almost down to the aqueduct, which is just under 3,000 feet in our area. The result of a cold, windy storm Sunday night was a glorious view this morning – to the north, I could see Sorrell Peak, the southernmost of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, covered in snow. Usually the Sierras are obscured by haze and distance – Sorrell Peak is about fifty miles from my house, so seeing that far implicates the curvature of the Earth as well as visibility issues. The San Gabriels to the south were still covered by clouds and fog, but I’m sure they’ve got lots of snow, too. Ah, but it’s going to dry out now. I’ll have to turn the lawn sprinklers back on.

No comments: