April 29, 2008

Paris Vaut Bien Une Messe

Yesterday, I ghostwrote an imaginary speech by Barack Obama denouncing Rev. Jeremiah Wright after his way-over-the-top remarks at the National Press Club. I suggested that Senator Obama say:

Friends, I heard Rev. Wright yesterday at the National Press Club. I was dumbstruck. Absolutely astonished by what I heard. You've got to understand, this was a man I looked up to. This was a man who's said and done things that I found inspirational.

But to see him like that! To hear him say things like that! Things no educated person should possibly think. Things so obviously false and wrong that they defy imagination.

After hearing him yesterday, I was sad. I was sad because I realized that, whether I win this nomination or not, whether I win this election or not, I can't go back to his church. He's proven that he's a man who won't learn, who won't be part of what it takes for America to move forward. Even after all of this political mess we've been through, he hasn't learned anything from it. So I can't have that man be my pastor after that.

One day, whether that's in two years or eight, I'll be going back to Chicago. And when I do, I won't be going back to Rev. Wright's church.


And Here's what Obama actually said today:

"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened over the spectacle that we saw yesterday. ...

"What became clear to me is that he was presenting a world view that contradicts who I am and what I stand for. And what I think particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing. Anybody who knows me and anybody who knows what I'm about knows that I am about trying to bridge gaps and I see the commonality in all people. ...

"I have been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ since 1992, and have known Reverend Wright for 20 years. The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago. ...

"Obviously, whatever relationship I had with Reverend Wright has changed. I don't think he showed much concern for me, more importantly I don't think he showed much concern for what we're trying to do in this campaign. ...

“He has done great damage, I do not see that relationship being the same. ...

"His comments were not only divisive and destructive, I believe they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate. I'll be honest with you, I hadn't seen it [when I said ‘All it was was a bunch of rants that aren't grounded in truth’]. ...

"I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia explaining that he's done enormous good. ... But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions as the U.S. government somehow being involved in AIDS. ... There are no excuses. They offended me. They rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced. ...

"I think he felt vilified and attacked and I understand him wanting to defend himself ... That may account for the change but the insensitivity and the outrageousness of the statements shocked me and surprised me."


So, how did I do?

On the plus side, Obama threw Wright under the bus, exactly as I suggested he should do. I can't take much credit for that, as it was a pretty obvious maneuver; he didn't really have any choice but to do it. I also correctly predicted that he would say that in the past, Jeremiah Wright had done good things that Obama admired. I also correctly predicted that Obama would flatly say that Wright's statements were false as well as universally offensive and ingorant.

But, I predicted that Obama would publicly and permanently separate himself from the congregation at Wright's church. This, so far, Obama has failed to do and he stated that he still considers himself a member of that church. That's the last step and he still needs to take it.

Take a lesson from history, Senator Obama. The White House is surely worth switching pastors.

No comments: