April 1, 2007

Poppy Reserve

The Wife and I went to see a movie (Shooter, which we both enjoyed) and then with a little bit of extra time, we took a trip out to the Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve. Unfortunately, the rains came too late and too little this year, and there were almost no poppies. We found the one poppy that was out there (pictured) and lots of lizards. But there were very few wildflowers of any kind. So that was kind of a disappointment. But it was still a nice trip to take with The Wife, even if we didn't get to see a whole lot of what we went out there for.

2 comments:

Leila said...

Isn't it a bit late for poppy season? I went to check out the poppy fields the first year I lived out here and I thought that was in February? Very impressive when they're all in bloom. I probably saw them a couple of weeks before the peak.

Burt Likko said...

Yes, I've been watching the news to see when the center would open and it never did until the end of March. There just weren't hardly any poppies at all this year, thanks to uncooperative weather.