February 2, 2008

Raking Kicks Ass

Maybe it's a function of getting older. Maybe it's a function of being out of shape. Maybe the work is inherently more difficult than it looks. But going out to the back yard to rake up after all the leaves and branches left over from autumn and the recent storms (doubling, not coincidentally, as doggie duty) seriously took the wind out of me. An hour of the repetitive, chest-and-arms exercise tired me out to the point of blood sugar depletion (well, it had been about five hours since breakfast) and even after I stopped for lunch, after another two hours I had completely had it. Most of the yard is done but both garbage bins are full and raking kicked my ass. I'm ready for bed right now.

2 comments:

Orange Phantom said...

When you're in town, we can go for a bike ride....

Burt Likko said...

I'd just hold you back, OP. You do, what, sixty miles a day or something insane like that? I'm not sure I could do six miles with any kind of speed.