November 22, 2007

Bad Poacher

Today for breakfast, The Wife said she wanted poached eggs. I'd never done it before but thought, hey, I'm game, I'll give it a try. You get rapidly boiling water, stir really hard, and drop the egg into it; take it out a minute later and drain it. Simple, right?

Turns out, no, poached eggs are kind of difficult. My whites got out into the boiling water not once but three times, creating a murky, billowy mess with a free-floating yolk. Not once was I able to make a steep and strong enough vortex in the spinning, boiling water to keep the liquid egg confined. I need either more practice at poaching them or a mold.

1 comment:

Sheila Tone said...

Remember when I stayed at that hotel, the poached eggs came out like little sacks? It was as if they'd been poached in some sort of sack mold. I've never been able to find anything about that online.

When you poach them in the typical flat mold, they come out all flat. I don't like it much.